The John D. Fox Superconducting Accelerator Laboratory
In March 2007, FSU's superconducting linear accelerator laboratory was named for John D. Fox, a longtime FSU faculty member who was instrumental in its development. Shortly after then -Florida Gov. LeRoy Collins established FSU's program in nuclear physics in 1958, Fox joined the faculty in 1960 and went on to play a key role in building up the accelerator laboratory into a position of worldwide renown. In particular, his collaboration with FSU Professor Donald Robson on isobaric analog states put the accelerator lab on the world map of nuclear physics. The John D. Fox Superconducting Linear Accelerator Laboratory at Florida State University is a busy, teeming place with the radioactive beam facility RESOLUT, the construction of advanced detector systems, nuclear spectroscopy using a sophisticated array of Compton-suppressed clover gamma-ray detectors.